Thursday 13 June 2019

Westa supporting Scotland women’s team

There are those kids who have no first hand evidence of Scotland participating in the World Cup. 21 years, a long long time since we were there and even then we scored 2 goals and won not one game. None, mind you we drew with mighty Norway. We did lose 2-1 to then world champs Brazil despite scoring 2. A rare talent that.
Our women’s team are there, in France and were in Holland 2 years ago for the Euros. I was there. Scotland is in the World Cup, finally. I repeat we are in the World Cup.
A squad of highly talented footballers, thrilling to watch with Technique, yes I will repeat the not often used adjective to describe a Scots footballer. Technique.
Many years ago, in the dark ages of the early 2000’s West of Scotland Tartan Army (Westa) had a major issue with their player of the year. Which hapless, nay hopeless Scot should we pick? We had our annual award ceremony in the Iron Horse coming up and the with the nomination deadline approaching we had none.
Some of us had been watching the women’s team and had witnessed Scotland winning. Yes , winning. We decided to nominate, thus choosing a women’s player as oor POTY. Democracy be damned we chose a player. Mhairi. It can finally be revealed that she was chosen as we found out she worked at nearby Greaves Sports. I popped down to break the news to her in person.
Unwise it seems. She looked shocked and possibly slightly worried. She was polite and walked backwards to the fire escape as I explained the great honour she was to receive.
The next day I got a phone call from the SFA telling me off. A right good telling off by the way. ‘How dare I’. Any approach should be made officially. Official approach was made.
Vera Pauw, the Dutch Scotland manager made contact and both she and the still startled Mhairi attended our POTY.
I imagine our trophy proudly sits on Mhairi’s sideboard to this day. Unless that is she presented it to Scotland’s Football museum. I will check the next time I am there.

Hamish

No comments:

Post a Comment