Wednesday 12 June 2019

A new start

The nation rejoiced, we found and got the man we wanted. A man who could work with limited ability, and we are very limited, very. A narrow 2-1 win over Cyprus including a late equaliser and a very late winner. We looked organised, sat deep against a team limited in talent possibly in preparation for the visit to Brussels.
Getting the Belgium game into perspective we went there with absolutely no hope of a victory, our last win was at Hampden in 1987, a game I missed as I was unforgivabley in Corfu.
Yesterday we faced the best team in the world, ranked number one and not for no reason.
I did not travel, I have witnessed 3 drubbings in Brussels, 3 x 2-0 scores each one a thumping. I wish to travel in hope and not just for a party, I have saved my trip for a wee visit to Paris to see a real Scotland team, one with skill and one with faces of sheer delight to be representing Scotland in the World Cup.
We, the men are paying the price for neglect. The waste of our talented kids, wasted by the clubs in their pursuit of.......?
 I stop to consider the question of ‘pursuit’. Just what have the clubs done for the fan?
In the way of skill and technique? The joy of enjoying football, of caressing a ball. Game awareness.
We don’t have the answer to our ills, I have been asked many many times where are all the Scots, the one who dominated English teams of the past.
Maybe we should ask a Belgian.

Hamish

No comments:

Post a Comment