Sunday 8 December 2019

Govan 1969-71

Chorleywood 1968-69

We moved to Chorleywood in April 1968 and we attended only a couple of Watford games, the Hornets were the nearest club. Strangely, or unbelievably one was a pre-season friendly against Morton which we attended. 
My thoughts were always towards Scotland and Rangers who were continuing to live under the shadow of Celtic.
I played for my school Russell County Primary School who were hopeless, there was no league just a few friendlies. My developing style was based on my heroes Baxter and Willie Henderson and the romantic tales of skill and dribbling. Dad told me about some Scottish player who could score direct from corners and many of my corners were indeed wasted as it turned out that that skill was impossible. 
To this day I can still nutmeg at will, my talents which are many derived from watching the Real Madrid vs Eintracht Frankfurt European Cup Final 1960. A 7-3 game which is legendary and which my father was there. He told us so. Seemingly. 
My pals, Michael Rowbottam and Mark Service wearing kilts travelled in the back of our wee Mini van to White Hart Lane to see a pre-season friendly against Rangers. Rangers lost, possibly 2-0.  We were so disappointed that the terracing was square and the view so poor. There were loads of Rangers fans there, possibly drunk. The nets were white. 
By the way he was at the 1945 Ranger vs Moscow Dynamo game. He was, and he was on the track. Seemingly.
We went to an England friendly, Bulgaria at Wembley. In 1966 I was an England supporter, however now a supporter no more.
I was obviously an attentive child as when God Save the Queen was played I booed. Dad was horrified, to this day I can’t understand his issue, maybe 90,000 nearby loyal England fans were of immediate concern. 
A 1-1 draw , a few years ago I saw the game on Sky TV and the great Bobby Charlton scored, what a player.

 My class went to Dawlish, Devon for a weeks holiday. Returning on the Saturday Dad took us to the evening game, the bi-annual England Scotland game. We were grubbed 4-1 by the then excellent England team. Colin Stein scored a headed goal from a corner, the highlight, the one highlight. An experience we would have to get used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment